Storage Tips & Tricks
General Storage Tips – A little Planning and Organizing goes a long way
- Use sturdy, well taped, moving boxes or plastic containers with lids. You will be able to stack these easily and limit any possible damage to items in boxes.
- Clearly label all boxes for easy identification in the future.
- Use a small shelving unit to maximize space.
- When disassembling items, store screws in plastic bag and attached to the items for future use.
- Heavy boxes on the bottom. Fragile items marked and placed on top.
- Do not stack boxes to high, the bottom box may not be able to support the weight
- Leave an isle to access items at rear of unit if needed.
- Take a picture of your fully packed storage unit. You can always look at it to remember where something was or if you packed it.
Pest Control – Better safe than sorry.
- Make sure all items being stored are clean and free of any debris that may attract pests.
- Empty vacuums
- Clean appliances
- No food of any kind should be stored
- No animal products of any kind should be stored
- Plastic containers are usually a better bet than cardboard boxes.
- Dryer sheets naturally deter pest and smell great.
- After unit is packed, cover your items with a canvas tarp.
Moisture Control – We live in the Midwest. You cannot avoid it so plan properly
- Avoid cardboard boxes for long term storage. Plastic containers with tight lids are your best option.
- Place items on wooden pallets. Concrete floors can sweat and produce moisture. Pallets also allow for some ventilation by allowing additional air movement
- Place on open container of charcoal in corner of unit. Charcoal naturally absorbs moisture.
- Any appliance that may have water needs to be completely drained. Washing machine, Refrigerator, Dehumidifier, Humidifier, Window Air Conditioner, ect.
- Do not leave wood directly in contact with storage floor. Use a plastic tarp if necessary.
Dirt / Dust Control – You will thank us when you unpack your items
- Bag or plastic wrap any items you can
- Lubricate tools, bikes, and hinges before storing
- Vacuum seal and clothing or bedding